Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kelowna Gasshuku August 15 - 17

I guess being an only child, I was never used to having so many people around me all day. I don't even think I can stand it for over a few hours, in fact. Somehow I get the same feeling when I'm just alone when I'm in a large group. The noise, the constant laughter, it gives me an alien feeling and I'd rather not be part of it.

Sensei keeps on saying that kendo is also a community, and you're joining a community. But whenever I'm in any kendo gatherings, I don't exactly feel like I belong to the "pack", the group, the gang, or whatever you call it. I'm not Japanese, and I'm not exactly someone who worships the Japanese culture like a god. I just like kendo and what it stands for, and everything else that links to it just feels alien. Or is it just I don't really like the SFU club? there is some slight and subtle differences between the clubs, mainly due to the nature of sensei's.

with that set aside. it was quite eventful, and I'm glad I had sometime to be alone. I had shiai with Hiro and he was pretty damn good, beat me twice. I got a piece of broken glass caught into my foot, which was kinda bad. I broke my bogu case wheel and handle.

No comments: